Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie[_3_] Tim Downie[_3_] is offline

Default Followup: Was Making a metal cap for a wooden post

Tim Downie wrote:
I've an idea to create a memorial post for a departed friend which
would consist of a domed metal cap on a 4"x4" post.

I had originally though of making the cap of lead but a quick google
suggest that lead "burning" is well beyond my skills & equipment
levels so I wondered if either I can work the lead "panel beater
style" to cover the top and extend down the sides for a few inches or
whether I should consider a different metal like an aluminium alloy.

Of course I could just contract the work out to someone to do
properly but I'd like to have a go myself.

Any suggestions?

In the end, I decided that beating and shaping copper was beyond my skills
so I went for lead. I started with a circle of roofers lead flashing and
basically beat, pummelled and bent it into shape with a combination of
wooden mallet and G-clamps. Pretty crude but it seems to have done the job.

http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/leadcap.jpg

Against advice, I have glued it with something called Stixall made by
everbuild (http://www.everbuild.co.uk/products.php?q=stixall). Only time
will tell how well it lasts but it's seems bl**dy well stuck on.

Just in case anyone was interested in what I did in the end...

Tim