Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bought a USB joypad at a garage sale

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:48:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
news
http://cgi.ebay.com/CUTTERMASTER-UNI...DMILL-GRINDER-
/310226012593 (Id offer no more than $1000)

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAREX-E-85-ENDMI...-GRINDER-/3304
60740613

http://cgi.ebay.com/KO-LEE-tool-cutt...ll-milling-WOW
-/360254152165

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cincinnati-1-Uni...inder-/3102301
55606

Sigh... Worn, old, no collets, need new stones, none likely to have the
precision they were originally built with.

True indeed. But..does he need that precision?

Y'know... when I go to sharpen an end mill, I want it to be "factory
new", except for the diameter, when it comes out of the machine.

Good on you. And one has to spend a bit of money to get that result, or
find work arounds to get "almost as good"

What I don't want to do is spend yet another year re-building another
piece of old junk. I really want to spend my time machining parts.

Indeed.

I've used a Cincy... too much learnin' to do to make an even passable
job. It's WAY too complex for the "casual sharpener".

Odd..Ive a B300 KO Lee..and it took me a couple hours to learn to use
it. Included a bunch of accessories like a Harig Air Glide endmill
sharpener etc etc etc. 5c motor driven gizmo, indexing head etc etc.

Like Iggy..Ive sources that others here dont have. Mine cost me a
service call. Hummm $186 traded for the grinder. I thought it was a
marvelous trade.

I've used a Cutter Master... it's about the same functionally as the
Darex, but WAY more expensive for one in the same condition.

Indeed. However its not aluminum either.

The Darex E90 can be had in "almost new" condition for about 1/4 what a
similar-condition Cutter Master can. And despite it's "low end" status in
your book, the Darex offers the same precision and longevity for a lot
less money.

The prices I showed were all within $200 of a used Darex. Or did I miss
something? And the prices were simply part of the ads for things Iggy
should be looking for. Im sure he can beat Ebay prices by a magnitude.

And Gunner... the first two "almost kits" you listed... what's that for?
You can't sharpen _anything_ on them 'til you build the rest of the
machine. It takes a bed. It takes a motor, it takes a cup stone, it...

It takes a surface grinder. Period. Iggy doesnt have one? Hell..he can
find them for $50 or less. Cup wheel and voila..he has a $200 tool and
cutter grinder that will do just hunky. Even a worn out surface grinder
will work fine with one of the fixtures I cited. As long as that cup
wheel spins....its good enough.

And a hell of a lot cheaper than a used aluminum Darex. Remember..I own
a Darex. It worked ok. But..only "ok" and I didnt spend $1200 for it
either.

But there are all sorts of Better options within his grasp. He is quite
good at finding Stuff and at damned good prices. I showed him what was
available and what to look for.

takes some really long "building up" to get where I'd want to be with a
milling cutter grinder. Some people work, and some people only do
machining in their "spare" time.

LLoyd

Indeed. However..I presented the info for Iggy..who has a lock on
finding surplus machinery in his area. In fact...several of the cites I
presented were intentionally from Chicago area.

I respect your opinion deeply. But I presented the info for Iggy, who
has resources others here do not have.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9