parish

Default New Houses - any good?

John Laird wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:44:03 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"John Laird" wrote in message
. ..
On 15 Jul 2003 09:39:58 -0700, (StealthUK) wrote:

The main thing I hate about new build is the light doors and walls
that just feel like you're living in a temporary house.

Depends on the builder again. Don't generalise. Once again it is like
coming in from outer space and judging all car like Ladas because that was
the only one you ever went in.

I didn't say that. You could take a little more care in reading the
attributions correctly.

That and the 6'6" ceilings, or whatever the hell they are. If I can't
practise my golf swing indoors without removing chunks of plaster, it's

not
a proper house in my book.

7.5 foot is the average. Installing flush downlighters makes the ceiling
seem 2 foot taller. Put downlighters in the hall above the stairwell and
the stairs appear cavernous.

With a standard door at 78" and a few inches of architrave, that must put
the average new ceiling not much more than 6 inches from the door frame.

My 8 year old house has ~2.4m/95" ceilings....

Yuk. Also, I don't want to be able to reach the ceiling, thanks, or be

....which means that I can change bulbs in recessed lights and paint the
ceiling, with a normal roller, without the need to stand on anything.

forced to use downlighters or very shallow hanging light fittings so I don't
bash my head on them.

I suppose there are two issues with low ceilings. One is that it saves a
measly amount by way of a couple of brick courses (or one breeze block) and
a modicum of plaster, paint, wiring, plumbing, and the other is that by
shrinking the height it is possible to shrink the width to retain a
proportioned look. All a con, of course. Especially those builds where the
downstairs ceilings look okay, but upstairs they have skimped on a brick.

You must be used to 10 foot ceiling with your golf swing. Who plays golf in
the house????

There is a distinction between practising a swing, and playing the game...