Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default motherboard cpu power section check

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 06:28:47 -0700, Mike De Petris wrote:

On Aug 16, 2:45Â*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 01:17:03 -0700, Mike De Petris wrote:
On Aug 15, 6:46Â*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:25:04 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:13:09 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

Is that a dual core CPU or hyperthreaded single core.

1.73GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T5300

Ok it's got two cores. Reason I asked was disabling say a 2 ghz
single core HT CPU can acutally boost performance. When in HT mode
the RAM and the CPU process at 1 ghz.

After the "cpu disabled trick" worked well for hours, with laptop
running and restarting with it PSU, I had no more luck. The day after
it didn't start as before. Tried the trick again, I even disabled
both cpus in devmgmt but no luck. Used an hardware monitoring program
to investigate situation but nothing helps, only curious thing is
that trying to access ACPI temperature values the pc suddenly powered
down.

Even when all seems running weel on battery, or "fake battery" with
12V PSU, the pc freezes at a point in some conditions that I still
have to determine, but to me this shows it's an hardware fault. When
running on normal PSU in Windows 7 I tried to change the options for
the power/tilt/sleep buttons and the pc freezed, and that was when it
didn't worked any more that way. Power buttons options can be changed
without problem running on battery. On battery the pc can run for
hours, but it seems that stressing it a bit and leaving it alone
leads to a freeze or a sudden power down, maybe when the power
management decides to do something, something that I cannot know as I
simply find the pc hanging on or completely powered off.

I must check the motherboard, but except for ONE capacitor in the
power section that is 3 or 4 mm big (and still smd) all others are
small SMD, and you can just identify them by being marked Cnumber
as I think all resistors are Rnumber.

The problem is I need to find a day with plenty of time, as to test
those capacitors needs to unweld them with hot air check and solder
them again, and they are soooo small... there are smd three-legs
transistor components too, but I do not think I would be able to
check them.

Maybe I should start with the few fuses and resistors as they can be
checked in place to see if they are opened, at least.

You seem to have a decent strategy in place. Have you thought about
installing a software program that can monitor CPU core and other
voltages? I've used Motherboard Monitor on desktops, it may work on
your Intel based board. And it's a free utility.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...o/Motherboard-

Monitor.s...

All motherboards have some sensors and/or other ACPI based sensors.

thank you, I tried one but didn't give me voltages, all other values are
normal, accessing ACPI temperatures leaded to a sudden power off, will
have a try with other monitoring software

in the while I'm also looking a cheap compatible CPU, I am still not
that sure it's a mainboard fault

I'd have to assume that Toshiba still uses a proprietary ACPI interface.
My Satellite 1905-S301 has it's own Toshiba power management console.

I doubt it's the CPU but rather the ACPI hardware. If it is the CPU and
you get a cheap replacement that would be great, I would be wrong and it
wouldn't be the first time.