Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Bill wrote:

I'm preparing to tape my joints and around several of my eleven
electrical boxes. Larry may consider it "overkill", but I made
little cardboard box inserts, held by friction, which fit into the
front of each of the electrical boxes to protect the wires from
drywall knives, sanders, etc.

I noticed that the screw holes are still exposed so I'm planning to
buy a package of short 6-32 screws to protect the screw holes from
now until the time that I am finished painting. Is this the standard
way to protect the screw holes during the joint taping and painting
process? I assume that it's sufficient.

Actually the drywall guys are the bane of electricians. They don't care one
hoot about those boxes. Very common to find a glob of dried compound in a
box. Same thing with painters. That said - the mud chips out very easily
and if it is part of a smear that ran wild from the wall, just score it
through along the outside of the box and chip off the errant remainder. For
the most part you can easily mud right up to the box with no problems, but
if you do lay a blob in there it's no big deal. The screw threads are no
problem at all. The screws will run home just fine. If your wires are
properly tucked inside your boxes, you have nothing to worry about from
drywall tools.

--

-Mike-