Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Brad nailer - 18 ga. big enough?

I paid $1.99 for that same clamp. A couple were no good and had to be
exchanged, but for a $1.99 I felt it was worth the risk.

I have both porter cable and HF nailers and staplers. The porter cable
are good, but overpriced after using the HF. My HF have performed well.

I am glad I finally took the plunge on them. I kept buying the more
expensive nailers and staplers.

On 8/11/2010 2:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:
Steve B wrote:

I'm a shopper. I don't buy cheap equipment, and then brag on just the
price. Cheap tools aren't good, and good tools aren't cheap. YMMV, and
sounds like it does. **** is ****, no matter the brand name.

I generally agree with you but there are a lot of exceptions. The HF air
nailer is one of them if you are a cabinet maker. Personally, I would
rather go to a bar and have a beer than nail the **** out of everything
like Norm does on TV. He pins everything after slopping on a bottle of
glue. I like to clamp things, using just enough glue. This means I don't
really NEED a pin nailer much and will not likely EVER wear out my HF
nailer, although it might rust some between uses.

Here is another exception, imo: http://tinyurl.com/2bul22m

This is a HF ratchet clamp. Is it junk, yep, but for a few bucks it's a
great deal, particularly since I know exactly what about it is junk,
(couple of plastic parts in the handle) and that I can quickly and
easily refurbish it so it is not junk, and for the cost of one machine
screw and some glue I have a clamp that does everything I expect for
next to nothing so I could buy 20 of them for the price of one or two
top dollar clamps.

Another exception, on the other end, is Festool stuff. Is it good, I
reckon it is, but at what a cost? Do I really need to spend $800 on a
Festool Router?

Lastly, if you don't own and use a HF nail gun, you probably shouldn't
argue with people that do own one.