Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any other use for golf-cart charger?

On Aug 14, 7:23*pm, mm wrote:
I have two 36 volt, 20 amp golf-cart chargers that no one else in town
would be interested in repairing. * One broke ten years ago, one two
weeks ago, and the business which owns them have already bought a new
one, and told me I could throw the old ones away.

Do you think it would have any other use for someone who didn't own a
golf-cart, like me?

I'm sort of curious what's inside that might be different from any
other charger -- it's fancier than my 1 amp and my 10 amp, with
circuits to turn it off at full charge, to time how long it charged
before that, etc. -- *plus I just generally hate to throw things away.

One of them flashes numbers it shouldn't flash, and one was just dead
iirc when they plugged it in. * I'm thinking this second one might be
easier to fix, but it seems to depend on being connected to a set of
three car batteries in series to turn on, even when it is working.
Maybe I can connect three 12 volt UPS /
home-burglar-alarm-backup-batteries and get the same effect, or maybe
it will overcharge them if it ever works??? *

They weigh about 20 pounds each, 8w x 7d x 10h inches and have a
handle. * Plus it sells for about 600 dollars locally and 300 and up
online. *A shame to throw it away.

Is there a manufacturer's name anywhere?? Contact the mfgr and ask for
a schematic.