Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gripe about sillycone toobs.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:30:03 -0500, Steve Turner
wrote:

On 8/13/2010 10:18 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 13, 11:03 pm, Steve
wrote:
On 8/13/2010 9:37 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

On 08/13/2010 09:05 AM, Robatoy wrote:
There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

Throw away those stupid tips and and caps plugs and whatever else. Keep
a roll of good quality clear packing tape nearby. When it's time to seal
the tube, tear off a 2" section of packing tape, wrap it around the
nozzle and mate the adhesive surface back together on itself, and snug
it all up tight so it makes an airtight seal. Best friggin' method I've
ever used for resealing tubes of almost any gooey caulky material.

Ok, I've read all the other responses, and I've tried pretty much all the other
solutions. Mine's the best. I win.

Not so fast........

What-r-ya doing, testing 'em all? looks at watch :-) The only one I haven't
tried is the "condom" product, and while they seem like a pretty good idea I
have a hunch they aren't q-u-i-t-e as airtight as packing tape. Plus, packing
tape is way cheaper. :-)

I've kept semi-silly painter's caulk under a red cap for a year (here
at the house) and it was fresh when I de-condomed it. They're
wonderful!