Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gripe about sillycone toobs.

There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:05:29 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy wrote:

There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

I put a 3 inch screw in the nozzle, the next time I use the tube
it gives something to pull the plug of set up silicone out with.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08/13/2010 09:05 AM, Robatoy wrote:
There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

Throw away those stupid tips and and caps plugs and whatever else. Keep a roll of good
quality clear packing tape nearby. When it's time to seal the tube, tear off a 2" section
of packing tape, wrap it around the nozzle and mate the adhesive surface back together on
itself, and snug it all up tight so it makes an airtight seal. Best friggin' method I've
ever used for resealing tubes of almost any gooey caulky material.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2010 9:11 AM, basilisk wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:05:29 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy wrote:

There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

I put a 3 inch screw in the nozzle, the next time I use the tube
it gives something to pull the plug of set up silicone out with.

Ditto ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

Dip the end in Plastic Dip or equivalent. Once dry, it forms an airtight
seal. To reuse, peel away the seal. This even prevents caulk from
hardening in the nozzle.

Good Luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy writes:
There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

Lee Valley sells a pack of nozzle caps for this purpose.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,42194,40727

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/10 1:27 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

Lee Valley sells a pack of nozzle caps for this purpose.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,42194,40727

Caulk condoms?

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

I always buy small tubes, 2 at a time. If I can't reuse the first one
the second time, I'll always have a spare.

I adore these caulking condoms, and get a real kick showing them to
new clients, but they don't work well on 100% sillycone, only on
partials and acrylics. http://fwd4.me/KZf
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

I use surgical gloves for finishing. when i need to preserve sily-cone
I cut the tip off one finger of the gloves and use it like a condom.
it works short term.

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 13, 1:43*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 8/13/10 1:27 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote: *writes:
There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

Lee Valley sells a pack of nozzle caps *for this purpose.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,42194,40727

Caulk condoms?

--
Froz...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh THAT is what those are for. I found some of those in the
old shop and I ...well.....I..... nebber mind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 13, 7:05*am, Robatoy wrote:
There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.

Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

It's catalyzed by moisture, so exposure to air will do it in. What
you really need, is a dessicator. With a paint can
and CaSO4 dessicator, I've kept an open tube of silicone
for months with no accidental curing.

I'm told Gorilla Glue (almost all the polyurethane glues) catallyzes
with any OH group (water, alcohol, etc), so it'd probably work on
that, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

These work good for me.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pro...0-82105a409565

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm told Gorilla Glue (almost all the polyurethane glues) catallyzes
with any OH group (water, alcohol, etc), so it'd probably work on
that, too.

I can tell you from experimentation that Gorilla Glue will not sure under
water. At least not in the time I allowed.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

writes:
There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

Lee Valley sells a pack of nozzle caps for this purpose.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,42194,40727

Caulk condoms?

Notice the extra space after 'nozzle caps'? Caps wasn't my first choice....

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

The liquid plastic trick is to----------o much.

Better vliving thru chemistry as DuPont would say.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2010 9:37 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 08/13/2010 09:05 AM, Robatoy wrote:
There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

Throw away those stupid tips and and caps plugs and whatever else. Keep
a roll of good quality clear packing tape nearby. When it's time to seal
the tube, tear off a 2" section of packing tape, wrap it around the
nozzle and mate the adhesive surface back together on itself, and snug
it all up tight so it makes an airtight seal. Best friggin' method I've
ever used for resealing tubes of almost any gooey caulky material.

Ok, I've read all the other responses, and I've tried pretty much all the other
solutions. Mine's the best. I win.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/13/2010 10:18 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 13, 11:03 pm, Steve
wrote:
[...]

What-r-ya doing, testing 'em all? looks at watch :-) The only one I haven't
tried is the "condom" product, and while they seem like a pretty good idea I
have a hunch they aren't q-u-i-t-e as airtight as packing tape. Plus, packing
tape is way cheaper. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:09:44 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Aug 13, 1:43*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 8/13/10 1:27 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote: *writes:
There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it.
When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and
use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with
a removable tip.
Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?

Lee Valley sells a pack of nozzle caps *for this purpose.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,42194,40727

Caulk condoms?

--
Froz...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh THAT is what those are for. I found some of those in the
old shop and I ...well.....I..... nebber mind.

I'm sure glad they finally fit SOMEONE, Toy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

But the three inch screw is reusable. Plus it can always be used for its
original purpose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I've kept semi-silly painter's caulk under a red cap for a year (here
at the house) and it was fresh when I de-condomed it. They're
wonderful!
Posted to rec.woodworking

I just subscribed to Handyman magazine and a reader sent in a hot tip
about this.

He just screws a wire nut on the end of the tube. The kind that are
plastic caps with coiled wire inside.

http://www.aikencolon.com/Ideal-Wire...Nut_c_648.html

I've found plastic inserts at Harbor Freight, but unless they are on
sale at the local store, the price is outrageous considering that it's
just a plastic stick.

http://www.harborfreight.com/caulk-saver-97561.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh. Tubes!
I misread the title.......
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 15, 11:18*am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
Robatoy writes:

Oh. Tubes!
I misread the title.......

Hell, I *wrote* the title and still see what I see.....and it isn't
'toobs'...LOL

CFLs and bulbs (Gripe) John UK diy 19 November 28th 09 11:43 AM
CH motorised valves gripe spamlet UK diy 16 May 9th 08 10:14 AM
Google newsreader gripe SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 12 July 26th 07 04:34 PM
Gripe about pushy sailes staff Mike Dembroge Woodworking 20 May 25th 06 03:26 PM
rockler's plan for high chair gripe mel Woodworking 3 November 4th 03 05:35 PM