Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y
john hamilton[_3_] john hamilton[_3_] is offline

Default best finish with polyurethane

I'm painting a Formica table top with Ronseal ultra tough polyurethane with
the *matt* finish . I'm using an old, but best quality bristle brush.

I'm not the very worse at wielding a paint brush, but it's surprising to me
how many brush marks are still remaining, especially since it's a matt
finish.

Would I be better using one of the Chinese brushes (with artificial bristles
or the 'natural' very *thin* bristles)? I normally avoid them, since the
ones I've used before have shed a lot of the bristles whilst using them.

Would I get any better looking results by using a paint pad? If so what one
is best to get please? Also would a sponge roller or hairy cloth type
roller be a better way to go? Thanks for any advice.