Posted to alt.home.repair
Sum Guy Sum Guy is offline

Default YES: Do dishwashers need drain hose to rise above level of drainpump?

unnecessarily full-quoted:

I said it before and I will say it again...put a trap on the
drain just below the floor level.

That actually wouldn't have solved the problem of water draining out of
the washer when it wasn't supposed to. A rising loop inside the washer
was needed to solve that problem.

He clearly doesn't want to listen to that message or follow basic
plumbing code.

And you are showing how ignorant you are of understanding basic
hydraulic principles.

A dish washer isin't a sink or a toilet. Maybe you don't understand why
those fixtures need a trap. And you certainly don't understand how a
trap is formed by the washer's drain hose when it's arranged as a simple
rising loop or inverted U.

And I'd also point out that he still hasn't gotten the message
that the drain line in a normal installation installation isn't
supposed to go directly to the sink drain plumbing. It's supposed
to have a high loop, taking the discharge hose up to the bottom
of the countertop to prevent waste from flowing unoticed back
into the dishwasher from a partially blocked drain.

And you continue to fail to realize that I do not have a situation where
a nearby sink drain is competing with the dishwasher as far as draining
is concerned.

If I don't want water in my sink to flow into my dishwasher when the
sink is draining, then a high-loop for the dishwasher should prevent
that. But when there IS NO SINK involved, then the high loop would also
not be needed. Except that the washer needs the high loop for ANOTHER
REASON - to prevent wash water from draining out the bottom of the tub
during the wash cycle.