Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default unintended consequences

Gunner Asch wrote:

I always wondered what happened to John Ross and if I can trust wiki, he is alive and
kicking.

He spent a lot of money getting concealed carry passed in Misouri and married a penthouse
babe. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_Chapman)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ross_%28author%29

http://www.john-ross.net/

Wes

And he has continued to care for her through both mastectomies and so
forth.

Good man~!

I would expect nothing less from the man that wrote that masterpiece. He put his heart
and belief system into it.

Which reminds me of something I read in an interview with Ross....

http://www.absolutewrite.com/novels/john_ross.htm

What has been your proudest moment as a writer?

There were a number of good memories, such as getting my first
four-figure check, seeing the pallets of bound copies of my novel at the
publisher's warehouse, doing my first public book signing, and getting
asked to address a discussion club for the first time.

However, these all pale compared to what happened when I listened to my
voicemail messages one day and heard the following message:

[Agitated woman] "John Ross? Is this thing recording? I just thought
you'd like to know that you and your goddamn book have ruined my
honeymoon. Probably my marriage, too. I can't believe my-" [muffled
sound, a second voice, faint, as if a hand is over the receiver, then
the hand being pried off] "Give me that... you *******, you haven't
even-" [more muffled noises, then a man's voice on the phone:

[Man] "Mr. Ross?"

[The woman, from several feet away] "It's his answering machine."

[Man] "Oh." [relieved] "Uh...Mr. Ross, this is, uh, well, never mind my
name, but-"

[Woman in background, yelling] "His name's _________! [name deleted for
privacy]

[Man] "Yeah, uh it's_________, that's right. Uh, Mr. Ross, I'm kind of
on my honeymoon, and-"

[Woman, screaming now] "KIND OF on your honeymoon?" [muffled sound of
hand covering receiver, alternating screaming and soothing tones, but I
can't make out the words]

[Man] "Listen, I started reading your book on the plane 'cause it was a
four hour flight, you know, and now I just can't put it down. And it's
pretty long, you know, so I'm still not finished, and my wife, well, I
haven't been paying enough attention to her, and-"

[Woman, screaming loud enough for me to hear even though the man quickly
covers the mouthpiece again] "IT'S THE SECOND DAY OF OUR HONEYMOON AND
YOU HAVEN'T EVEN ****ED ME YET!"

[Man] Um, I guess you heard that, Mr. Ross. Look, everything's going to
be okay, I'm almost finished with it and I can't tell you how much I'm
enj- GIVE ME THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!" [Sound of scuffle and phone being
hung up].

I got a follow-up call a day later, where the husband assured me that
everything was all right and his wife wasn't going to file for an
annulment.

ROTFLMAO. If you are part of the gun culture, Gunner's rendition of the caller seems
perfectly normal.

I read about 650 wpm and for the one time in my life, I envied those that read slow.

Thanks for a good story there Guns. It was my smile before heading off to the icky sticki
currently called work.

Wes