Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_2_] Jim K[_2_] is offline

Default Initial/Chubb burglar alarm engineer code

On 12 Aug, 19:45, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Aug 12, 5:21 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for
security alarms into the public domain might not be the best of
plans?

Have you considered that it's already out there, and that the real
fix would be to change it after installation?

An Accenta panel is cheap and pretty common, so Bill Sykes can find
this out, in a worst case, simply by buying a new panel.

Buying a new panel would only give you the factory default setting.
Alarm installers always change the factory default setting so that
the customer cannot make changes themselves. Most alarm companies
change the factory defalt number to a number that is common to their
firm.

ADT for example always use the same engineers code on all their
alarms. As I know the code I can modify their alarms.
--
Adam

could "mystery customer" (assuming it exists) not just fit the new
panel ? or are there some other overheads that are best avoided?

Jim K

You have lost me with the mystery customer?

sorry;) I meant jason/andy/pandy/zorro/ben10's mate with the alarm
problem

I have come across some alarm panels where it is easier and cheaper just to
swap the panel for a new panel.

thassa what I wasa gettin at - as another way for the "mysterious"
person with the prob. to get around...

I do not take control of the panel by
changing the engineers code and keeping it for the use of extracting more
money from a customer.

I believe you ;)

Cheers
Jim K