Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Initial/Chubb burglar alarm engineer code

A friend has moved into a new house with an Accenta 8 alarm system
which was originally installed by Protec, who were taken over by
Initial then Chubb. It looks like the battery is flat as when he had
to switch the electric off, the alarm went off. I believe to change
the battery he'll need the engineer code, which Chubb won't let him
have and want to charge a silly amount to come and change it. On the
panel is written "Initial eng code".

Anyone know what the engineer code Initial used is please?

TIA, Jason

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"zorro" gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Anyone know what the engineer code Initial used is please?

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for security
alarms into the public domain might not be the best of plans?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:
"zorro" gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Anyone know what the engineer code Initial used is please?

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for security
alarms into the public domain might not be the best of plans?

especially "Jason" as it appears to be your first message on usenet
with that email address....doh!

guess your "friend" will have to pay up or dump the alarm and buy
another ;) simples!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
"zorro" gurgled happily, sounding much like
they
were saying:

Anyone know what the engineer code Initial used is please?

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for
security
alarms into the public domain might not be the best of plans?

You can't unset the alarm with it so it'd be no use to burglars.
Anyway my email is valid.

Jason

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:
"zorro" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they
were saying:

Anyone know what the engineer code Initial used is please?

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for
security
alarms into the public domain might not be the best of plans?

especially "Jason" as it appears to be your first message on usenet
with that email address....doh!

Yes, I usually use an invalid email.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Aug, 13:12, "zorro" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:
"zorro" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they
were saying:

Anyone know what the engineer code Initial used is please?

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for
security
alarms into the public domain might not be the best of plans?

especially "Jason" as it appears to be your first message on usenet
with that email address....doh!

Yes, I usually use an invalid email.

--
Andy

andy? was "jason" first time? LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote

guess your "friend" will have to pay up or dump the alarm and buy
another ;) simples!

Can't he just set the thing off, disable the bell box battery (to silence
the external sounder) then locate the factory reset button-thingy to return
the panel to factory defaults?
Granted he'll need to get instructions for re-setting of the panel and then
re-programming with zone info etc before hand.
If the alarm is generally good this has to be a better option for battery
replacement than junking the equipment.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Aug, 12:40, "zorro" wrote:
A friend has moved into a new house with an Accenta 8 alarm system
which was originally installed by Protec, who were taken over by
Initial then Chubb. It looks like the battery is flat as when he had
to switch the electric off, the alarm went off. I believe to change
the battery he'll need the engineer code, which Chubb won't let him
have and want to charge a silly amount to come and change it. On the
panel is written "Initial eng code".

Anyone know what the engineer code Initial used is please?

TIA, Jason

I used to have a maintained and monitored system in a previous
property, and my alarm company was a member of NACOSS http://www.nacoss.org.uk/

IIRC, NACOSS rules say that alarm companies must hand over the
engineer code to the homeowner free of charge, if the homeowner ends
the maintainance contract.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"Jim K" wrote

guess your "friend" will have to pay up or dump the alarm and buy
another ;) simples!

Can't he just set the thing off, disable the bell box battery (to
silence the external sounder) then locate the factory reset
button-thingy to return the panel to factory defaults?
Granted he'll need to get instructions for re-setting of the panel
and then re-programming with zone info etc before hand.
If the alarm is generally good this has to be a better option for
battery replacement than junking the equipment.

He does have the instructions to do a factory reset and reprogram,
which he'll do if all else fails. Someone in another group suggested
just what he did ie changing the battery while the alarm is going off,
which would be quicker than a factory reset. But he'll need to check
the engineer code isn't needed to reset after a 'tamper'.

Although he's now got this crazy idea of going through all 10,000
codes till one works, he reckons he can do 100 in 6 mins so he can the
lot in 10 hours but I'm sure he'll knacker the keypad before then!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 11 Aug, 12:40, "zorro" wrote:
[...]

Thanks - but unfortunately it was the previous occupants who cancelled
the contract several years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On 11 Aug, 13:12, "zorro" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:
"zorro" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they
were saying:

Anyone know what the engineer code Initial used is please?

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for
security
alarms into the public domain might not be the best of plans?

especially "Jason" as it appears to be your first message on
usenet
with that email address....doh!

Yes, I usually use an invalid email.

--
Andy

andy? was "jason" first time? LOL

Well you didn't seem to believe "Jason" did you "Jim"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
"zorro" gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Anyone know what the engineer code Initial used is please?

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for
security alarms into the public domain might not be the best of plans?

It is probably not a good idea.

I have however phoned a friend and by tomorrow night I should have the
answer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

zorro wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message
On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:
"zorro" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they
were saying:

Anyone know what the engineer code Initial used is please?

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for
security
alarms into the public domain might not be the best of plans?

especially "Jason" as it appears to be your first message on usenet
with that email address....doh!

Yes, I usually use an invalid email.

Under what name? JimK knows who you are but I do not. It may or make a
difference regarding me giving you the Initial master code.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Aug, 19:15, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

JimK knows who you are but I do not. It may or make a
difference regarding me giving you the Initial master code.

eh? No I never heard of any of all 3 of 'em ;)

Just found it a bit odd that someone starts posting form a "new" (yet
allegedly valid) email addy asking burglar alarm security questions on
2 groups and using at least 2 names in 3 posts....call me shushpicious
if need be....

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for security
alarms into the public domain might not be the best of plans?

Have you considered that it's already out there, and that the real fix
would be to change it after installation?

An Accenta panel is cheap and pretty common, so Bill Sykes can find
this out, in a worst case, simply by buying a new panel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On 11 Aug, 19:15, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

JimK knows who you are but I do not. It may or make a
difference regarding me giving you the Initial master code.

eh? No I never heard of any of all 3 of 'em ;)

Just found it a bit odd that someone starts posting form a "new"
(yet
allegedly valid) email addy asking burglar alarm security questions
on
2 groups and using at least 2 names in 3 posts....call me
shushpicious
if need be....

Well perhaps you're right to be suspicious. These are my usual posting
details - I used my friend's name/email in case anyone preferred to
email the details rather than potentially get into trouble by posting
on a public forum.

But then I'm still an anonymous stranger on usenet (after all anyone
could use the posting details I'm using now, or those of any poster),
if there's a security risk in giving out the engineer code then don't
do it - he has other options and I've had lots of good advice. But
AIUI the engineer code is for maintenance of the system and can't be
used to unset the system - you can only get into engineer programming
if the system is unset with the user code first.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for
security alarms into the public domain might not be the best of
plans?

Have you considered that it's already out there, and that the real fix
would be to change it after installation?

An Accenta panel is cheap and pretty common, so Bill Sykes can find
this out, in a worst case, simply by buying a new panel.

Buying a new panel would only give you the factory default setting. Alarm
installers always change the factory default setting so that the customer
cannot make changes themselves. Most alarm companies change the factory
defalt number to a number that is common to their firm.

ADT for example always use the same engineers code on all their alarms. As I
know the code I can modify their alarms.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 12, 5:21 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:

Have you considered that putting a widely used master code for
security alarms into the public domain might not be the best of
plans?

Have you considered that it's already out there, and that the real fix
would be to change it after installation?

An Accenta panel is cheap and pretty common, so Bill Sykes can find
this out, in a worst case, simply by buying a new panel.

Buying a new panel would only give you the factory default setting. Alarm
installers always change the factory default setting so that the customer
cannot make changes themselves. Most alarm companies change the factory
defalt number to a number that is common to their firm.

ADT for example always use the same engineers code on all their alarms. As I
know the code I can modify their alarms.
--
Adam

could "mystery customer" (assuming it exists) not just fit the new
panel ? or are there some other overheads that are best avoided?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Aug 12, 5:21 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:

[...]

You have lost me with the mystery customer?

I have come across some alarm panels where it is easier and cheaper just to
swap the panel for a new panel. I do not take control of the panel by
changing the engineers code and keeping it for the use of extracting more
money from a customer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Aug, 19:45, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Aug 12, 5:21 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:

[...]

sorry;) I meant jason/andy/pandy/zorro/ben10's mate with the alarm
problem

I have come across some alarm panels where it is easier and cheaper just to
swap the panel for a new panel.

thassa what I wasa gettin at - as another way for the "mysterious"
person with the prob. to get around...

I do not take control of the panel by
changing the engineers code and keeping it for the use of extracting more
money from a customer.

I believe you ;)

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On 12 Aug, 19:45, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Aug 12, 5:21 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:

[...]

I gave Zorro, Andy or Jason the code.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 12, 8:44 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On 12 Aug, 19:45, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Aug 12, 5:21 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:

[...]

I still believe you ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Jim K wrote:
On 12 Aug, 19:45, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Aug 12, 5:21 pm, "ARWadsworth"

wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:

[...]

And it worked! Thanks very much!

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Pandy wrote:

I gave Zorro, Andy or Jason the code.

And it worked! Thanks very much!

Dennis will be along soon claiming that I have broken some law by passing
the engineers number on.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
" writes:

I used to have a maintained and monitored system in a previous
property, and my alarm company was a member of NACOSS http://www.nacoss.org.uk/

IIRC, NACOSS rules say that alarm companies must hand over the
engineer code to the homeowner free of charge, if the homeowner ends
the maintainance contract.

That will depend on the homeowner owning the alarm.
They rarely do if they dealt with an alarm company.

If you are paying someone to buy and install an alarm for you, then
you shouldn't pay until you have been handed over all the installation
information such as instructions, codes, and programming details
specific for your particular installation. Such a system can be
monitored but cannot have emergency services callout if the customer
has programming access to it. Whilst monitoring with emergency services
callout is required, then programming would have to be withheld from
the customer and the system must be on a maintenance contract.

If you are paying for an alarm service (which is most the common),
then you are renting the alarm, just like you used to have to rent a
phone handset from the GPO, as part of their service. Such a system
can be monitored with emergency services callout, because alarm
company are responsible for the programming and design of the system.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Andy - we are in the same situation. Moved into a house with a fitted Chubb alarm, the thing started making a beeping noises during the middle of a movie, and then part way through the next movie the things starts wailing like bloody murder. We called chubb, as apparently it needs to be "reset" - however, charging over $400 5 days before Christmas just seems mean, when they just have a code to put in.
Can you pretty please share the engineers code so we can turn this darn alarm off and put our newborn baby to bed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I do not think there is any one code. If there was it might be a bit of a
poor alarm. One supposes it might be linked to the serial number and I
suppose if the company are rip off merchants, you are stuck. I'm not sure if
these things are hackable. I'm always getting called byalarm folk trying to
give me a free quote. Very generous, not.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
wrote in message
Hi Andy - we are in the same situation. Moved into a house with a fitted
Chubb alarm, the thing started making a beeping noises during the middle of
a movie, and then part way through the next movie the things starts wailing
like bloody murder. We called chubb, as apparently it needs to be "reset" -
however, charging over $400 5 days before Christmas just seems mean, when
they just have a code to put in.
Can you pretty please share the engineers code so we can turn this darn
alarm off and put our newborn baby to bed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian-Gaff
wrote:
I do not think there is any one code. If there was it might be a bit of a
poor alarm. One supposes it might be linked to the serial number and I
suppose if the company are rip off merchants, you are stuck. I'm not sure
if these things are hackable. I'm always getting called byalarm folk
trying to give me a free quote. Very generous, not. Brian

Generally, alarm service companies set their own unique "maintenance" code.
This way they don't need to carry a reference book withem them.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi Andy - we are in the same situation. Moved into a house with a fitted
Chubb alarm, the thing started making a beeping noises during the middle
of a movie, and then part way through the next movie the things starts
wailing like bloody murder. We called chubb, as apparently it needs to
be "reset" - however, charging over $400 5 days before Christmas just
seems mean, when they just have a code to put in.
Can you pretty please share the engineers code so we can turn this darn
alarm off and put our newborn baby to bed?

For that kind of money you'd be cheaper fitting a new control board if you
DIY it.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
Hi Andy - we are in the same situation. Moved into a house with a
fitted Chubb alarm, the thing started making a beeping noises during
the middle of a movie, and then part way through the next movie the
things starts wailing like bloody murder. We called chubb, as
apparently it needs to be "reset" - however, charging over $400 5 days
before Christmas just seems mean, when they just have a code to put in.
Can you pretty please share the engineers code so we can turn this darn
alarm off and put our newborn baby to bed?

For that kind of money you'd be cheaper fitting a new control board if
you DIY it.

If you've anything worth insuring, your insurance company will insist on an
annual check by a reputable alarm company.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
I do not think there is any one code. If there was it might be a bit of
a poor alarm. One supposes it might be linked to the serial number and I
suppose if the company are rip off merchants, you are stuck. I'm not
sure if these things are hackable. I'm always getting called byalarm
folk trying to give me a free quote. Very generous, not.

Dunno these 'rented' types, but both of mine - one quite old now recently
replaced - go back to the factory codes if powered down including the
internal battery.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article , Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
Hi Andy - we are in the same situation. Moved into a house with a
fitted Chubb alarm, the thing started making a beeping noises during
the middle of a movie, and then part way through the next movie the
things starts wailing like bloody murder. We called chubb, as
apparently it needs to be "reset" - however, charging over $400 5 days
before Christmas just seems mean, when they just have a code to put in.
Can you pretty please share the engineers code so we can turn this darn
alarm off and put our newborn baby to bed?

For that kind of money you'd be cheaper fitting a new control board if
you DIY it.

If you've anything worth insuring, your insurance company will insist on an
annual check by a reputable alarm company.

Only if a an alarm is a requirement, or you want to get the benefit of
any discount (which isn't normally much) We have an alarm, but not for
the purposes of insurance
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris French
wrote:
In message , charles
writes
In article , Tim+
[...]

which is why I said "If you've anything worth insuring". You might just
have an alarm for your own peace of mind. I did for many years, but
inheriting somthing rather valuable changed the situation.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Google should provide you with a source to download the installers instructions and the users instructions. If I am thinking of the correct alarm panel the unit can be restored to factory default by powering down, fitting a jumper, powering up again. You may find it easier on the neighbours if you disconnect the speaker in the external siren box while you find your way through the system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 August 2010 20:44:55 UTC+1, ARWadsworth wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On 12 Aug, 19:45, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Aug 12, 5:21 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 Aug, 12:43, Adrian wrote:

[...]

Hello Andy, would you be very kind and give me the code. I have an alarm system that was originally installed by a company that is not longer in business. The maintenance was taken over by Chubb before we bought the property. We now use the system un-monitored, but want to give the business to a non-Chubb company.

Using my burglar alarm Jethro Home Repair 24 February 20th 07 05:52 PM
Burglar alarm Frenchy UK diy 9 September 15th 05 07:44 PM
Burglar Alarm Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 April 7th 05 02:04 AM
Burglar Alarm Neil UK diy 33 July 27th 03 01:02 PM