Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Default YES: Do dishwashers need drain hose to rise above level of drain pump?

On Aug 12, 6:57*am, wrote:
On Aug 12, 12:46*am, Roy wrote:

On Aug 11, 7:43*am, Sum Guy wrote:

After adding an extra 4-foot section of drain hose to form an inverted U
loop up inside the back of the dishwasher, the washer now operates much
better - more or less correctly when it comes to maintaining the fill or
wash-water during wash cycles.

Something else that was happening (before the loop was added) was that
the motor would make a loud squeeling noise at the end of every drain
cycle - probably caused by a complete evacuation of water from the
washer basin. *This noise doesn't happen any more, presumably because
the discharge pump can't push ALL the water up and over the loop during
the drain cycle.

So I would conclude that dish washers needs the drain hose to rise to
some level above the level of the discharge outlet in order to prevent
fill or wash water from draining out of the basin during wash cycles
because the discharge line is not really fully sealed off from the tub
basin drain. *

This arrangement of having the drain line rise to some level (1 foot? 2
feet?) relative to the bottom of the washer is normally accomplished by
plumbing the line into a nearby sink drain line, which are normally set
high up under the sink. *Many people think this is necessary for the
washer drain line to be connected before the sink's own trap, but it's
clear that the washer's drain hose will form it's own trap either in or
slightly below the drain-hose outlet.

But I've found that even that trap is not needed (from a sewer gas POV)
because there isin't enough of an open path between the sewer line and
the inside of the washer compartment to allow for sewer gas to enter the
washer very easily.

==
I said it before and I will say it again...put a trap on the drain
just below the floor level. cheap insurance and not much extra work.

He clearly doesn't want to listen to that message or follow basic
plumbing code. * And I'd also point out that he still hasn't gotten
the message that the drain line in a normal installation installation
isn't supposed to go directly to the sink drain plumbing. *It's
supposed to have a high loop, taking the discharge hose up to the
bottom of the countertop to prevent waste from flowing unoticed back
into the dishwasher from a partially blocked drain.

==
Yep, he is a stubborn one...I hope he likes dishes splattered with raw
sewage. It can happen.
==