Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Question about wood dyes

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:23:52 -0500, Kevin wrote
(in message
):

I was thinking about adding a spot of colour to a few bowls. Now I
prefer a more natural look but these will be heading out to folks that
like shiny and sparkly things.
I have seen a few dyes for sale at the various on-line shops and had a
question. When I carve a bit into a bowl, usually on the bottom and
usually just a date and the type of wood, I leave it at that. For one
though I did add some black ink, the type used by those who do the
lovely Chinese calligraphy. The ink did do a good job but the ink
spread about, kinda spread beyond the small carved area even through I
applied with a very small brush. Do dyes also spread about? Should
they only be applied to a sanded surface and NOT into a carved
surface?

Thanks
-Kevin

Any time you are applying a thin liquid to unprotected wood you are dealing
with capillary action. The liquid will "wick" into the fibers. As mentioned
in earlier responses, a thin coat of shellac - or other clear finish will
seal the fibers... but penetrating the fibers is how dyes work, generally.
Another response suggests a woodburning pen, to create boundaries. I think
this is a pretty good solution, but some may not want a dark line between
colors. This may be the best practical solution though for containing the
colors. In the end, you will have to do some experimenting, to find what
works for you. It may be a combination of woodburning pen to create
boundaries, and then use of either dyes, stains, or colored finishes like
lacquer or varnish to color your work.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.