Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Question about wood dyes

I was thinking about adding a spot of colour to a few bowls. Now I
prefer a more natural look but these will be heading out to folks that
like shiny and sparkly things.
I have seen a few dyes for sale at the various on-line shops and had a
question. When I carve a bit into a bowl, usually on the bottom and
usually just a date and the type of wood, I leave it at that. For one
though I did add some black ink, the type used by those who do the
lovely Chinese calligraphy. The ink did do a good job but the ink
spread about, kinda spread beyond the small carved area even through I
applied with a very small brush. Do dyes also spread about? Should
they only be applied to a sanded surface and NOT into a carved
surface?

Thanks
-Kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin" wrote in message
I was thinking about adding a spot of colour to a few bowls. Now I
prefer a more natural look but these will be heading out to folks that
like shiny and sparkly things.
I have seen a few dyes for sale at the various on-line shops and had a
question. When I carve a bit into a bowl, usually on the bottom and
usually just a date and the type of wood, I leave it at that. For one
though I did add some black ink, the type used by those who do the
lovely Chinese calligraphy. The ink did do a good job but the ink
spread about, kinda spread beyond the small carved area even through I
applied with a very small brush. Do dyes also spread about? Should
they only be applied to a sanded surface and NOT into a carved
surface?

It's sound like it is soaking into the wood. Applying a coat of shellac to
the area first would seal it and prevent the ink from running.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 10, 1:23 pm, Kevin wrote:
I was thinking about adding a spot of colour to a few bowls. Now I
prefer a more natural look but these will be heading out to folks that
like shiny and sparkly things.
I have seen a few dyes for sale at the various on-line shops and had a
question. When I carve a bit into a bowl, usually on the bottom and
usually just a date and the type of wood, I leave it at that. For one
though I did add some black ink, the type used by those who do the
lovely Chinese calligraphy. The ink did do a good job but the ink
spread about, kinda spread beyond the small carved area even through I
applied with a very small brush. Do dyes also spread about? Should
they only be applied to a sanded surface and NOT into a carved
surface?

Thanks
-Kevin

Hello Kevin,

I seldom add color to any of my work, but I have used Sharpie pens to
add small amounts of color from time to time; however, don't spray
something like Deft lacquer over the ink because it sometimes
dissolves and spreads the ink.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin" wrote in message
I was thinking about adding a spot of colour to a few bowls. Now I
prefer a more natural look but these will be heading out to folks that
like shiny and sparkly things.
I have seen a few dyes for sale at the various on-line shops and had a
question. When I carve a bit into a bowl, usually on the bottom and
usually just a date and the type of wood, I leave it at that. For one
though I did add some black ink, the type used by those who do the
lovely Chinese calligraphy. The ink did do a good job but the ink
spread about, kinda spread beyond the small carved area even through I
applied with a very small brush. Do dyes also spread about? Should
they only be applied to a sanded surface and NOT into a carved
surface?

Thanks
-Kevin

dyes will flow into the wood, only things that are very very fast drying
will not - or things that are very viscous.

I use Ritz for color

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:23:52 -0500, Kevin wrote
(in message
):

I was thinking about adding a spot of colour to a few bowls. Now I
prefer a more natural look but these will be heading out to folks that
like shiny and sparkly things.
I have seen a few dyes for sale at the various on-line shops and had a
question. When I carve a bit into a bowl, usually on the bottom and
usually just a date and the type of wood, I leave it at that. For one
though I did add some black ink, the type used by those who do the
lovely Chinese calligraphy. The ink did do a good job but the ink
spread about, kinda spread beyond the small carved area even through I
applied with a very small brush. Do dyes also spread about? Should
they only be applied to a sanded surface and NOT into a carved
surface?

Thanks
-Kevin

Any time you are applying a thin liquid to unprotected wood you are dealing
with capillary action. The liquid will "wick" into the fibers. As mentioned
in earlier responses, a thin coat of shellac - or other clear finish will
seal the fibers... but penetrating the fibers is how dyes work, generally.
Another response suggests a woodburning pen, to create boundaries. I think
this is a pretty good solution, but some may not want a dark line between
colors. This may be the best practical solution though for containing the
colors. In the end, you will have to do some experimenting, to find what
works for you. It may be a combination of woodburning pen to create
boundaries, and then use of either dyes, stains, or colored finishes like
lacquer or varnish to color your work.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for all the insightful and thoughtful comments and suggestions.

-Kevin

Wood dyes Tom Dougall Woodturning 9 May 9th 10 01:38 AM
Wood dyes NoSpam UK diy 6 January 30th 08 03:56 PM
New FWW issue (wood shelf standards and dyes) B A R R Y Woodworking 5 February 11th 07 11:03 PM
Wood dyes: Experimenting tomorrow Greg Guarino Woodworking 7 April 30th 06 12:00 PM
Where to buy stains and dyes? Norm Dresner Woodworking 9 April 4th 06 08:41 PM