Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Gorilla Glass

On 8/10/2010 10:32 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"J. wrote in message
On 8/10/2010 8:42 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"J. wrote in message
On 8/10/2010 7:22 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"J. wrote in message
On 8/10/2010 5:34 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"J. wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Wes wrote:

"Ed wrote:

Anchor Hocking still makes& sells borosilicate
glass
products
in the
US. A search on their site gives 442 hits so you're wrong,
yet
again.

Not since 1998, Michael. Read what I said above. Pyrex cookware
sold
in the
US today is tempered soda lime glass, and has been for over a
decade.
That's
why Anchor Hocking doesn't call their glass products "Pyrex."

Unless something changed recently, Ed is absolutely correct. I
looked
into this a while
back.

Wes

Anchor Hocking can't use the name Pyrex, but they sell
borosilicate
glassware. I bought some a month ago, and their website had 442
hits
for "borosilicate glass".

You might want to look more closely at those 442 hits. Searching
on
borosilicate alone yields 9 hits, searching on borosilicate glass
yields
443, however examining them it appears that 434 of them do not
contain
the world "borosilicate"--apparently the search is on
"borosilicate
OR
glass" rather than "borosilicate AND glass" or the phrase
"borosilicate
glass".

The Anchor Hocking items I purchased state that they are
made
of
borosilicate glass. Are you going to claim that they weren't?

I'm not "claiming" anything except that there are only nine items on
the
Anchor Hocking web site that are specifically described on that site
as
being made from borosilicate glass, and there appears to be no
general
statement on that site that Anchor Hocking products are made from
borosilicate. If you can show that others currently for sale are
also
made from it, please provide a list of products and SKU numbers
(and,
ideally, links to photos of the labels showing the SKU number and
the
"borosilicate glass" statement) so that others wanting borosilicate
glass
can benefit from your experience.

Just to set the record straight, there are no Anchor Hocking cookware
items
made of borosilicate glass. There are a few pieces of their stemware
that
are, and some decorative canisters. But no cookware. All of their
cookware
is made of tempered soda-lime glass, just like US-sold Pyrex.

As far as they know, there is no borosilicate glass cookware sold on
the
US
market. I have no way of checking that for accuracy.

Bodum sells some borosilicate measuring cups.

Saint Gobain Vidros sells Brazilian-made "Marinex" brand borosilicate
bakeware in the US if you can find it--Amazon.com lists quite a lot of
it.
Note that they also have a line of tableware sold under the same brand
name that appears to be tempered soda-lime so read the details
carefully.

Arcuisine in France sells a couple of sizes of borosilicate baking
dish
on
the US market--google "arcuisine elegance" and you should find a
number
or
sources.

Interesting. Arc in France makes borosilicate Pyrex, but it isn't sold
here.
I wonder what the relationship is, if any, between Arcuisine and Arc?

"Arcuisine Elegance" is the product that is sold in the UK as "Pyrex
Elegance".

The plot thickens.g

Last November, after we had our earlier discussion about this, after
Iggy's
baking dish explosion, I had a lawyer friend look into the prospects for
importing Arc Pyrex into the US (importing cookware used to be one of my
parents' businesses, and I was interested.) Basically, he said "no way."
Pyrex is sewed up. To sell under another brand, you'd have to be prepared
spend big bucks to build a brand.

Depends on how big a market you want. I doubt that they're trying to
dethrone Pyrex as a brand.

My family having been in that business for years, but long before web
marketing, our experience was that marketing niche items in that market is
expensive business. There are several angles you can take but they're either
fiercely price competitive, at the low end, or they require some kind of
prestige cache, at the high end. My idea was that, if you could market
"original Pyrex," you'd have a natural. But it appears that the license
holders have it sewn up pretty tight. No surprise.

It looks like there's a niche market for borosilicate bakeware that none
of the big players in the US are filling. That seems to be what Saint
Gobain and Arc are going after.