Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It Begins

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:04:23 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 00:06:06 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:26:41 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:24:30 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:47:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Thanks for the definition. I'd thought a cult was a following, often
religious. Led by a charismatic leader who claims some new revelation.
Had to look it up:
noun
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to
its rites and ceremonies.

What rites and ceremonies does the SA have?

Plenty, and that definition is not exclusive to rites and ceremonies.

Then give us some info!!

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp.
as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing,
person, ideal, etc.

Which "thing" binds them together thats different from other religious
groups?
Other than Good Works.

I didn't say that the cult definition didn't apply to other religious
groups.

Im confused there. Please indicate what that "thing" is, if you would
be so kind.

5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites
centering around their sacred symbols.

What is their ideology and sacred symbols? Other than the crucifix and
the $ sign?

The link to their own site that Don provided shows some of their
ideology with respect to marriage outside their cult.

Which was what? That they wanted their management to be part of a
husband and wife team? Sounds like Corporate America.

6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or
extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society
under the direction of a charismatic leader.

So what part of the organization is false, unorthodox and extremist? Is
this like St Vincent de Paul..which is the Catholic charity?

Dictating that cult members must marry within the cult is certainly
considered extremist by most people, one of the reasons it made the
mainstream news when the issue came up.

Must marry, or should marry?

Read their own docs and find out for yourself.

Please post a valid link to their own docs if you would be so kind.

Please..you are being quite "general" in your comments, so please
provide us some specifics with perhaps some details, if you would be so
kind.

Im looking forward to reading them.

No you aren't, you just want to continue you worthless babble, and
ignore the facts that Don posted SA's own links confirming what I said,
as well as the fact that Stormin' posted accepted definitions of a cult
and I pointed out that the SA meets nearly all of those definitions.

So you are such a good friend that you actually know what Im thinking?
Or are you simply riled up that my interest..open minded...wont lead me
to condemn you..or laugh at you..and you are confused about it?

Ill be more than willing to look at everything you post that convinces
me that your claim is true.

If you choose not to provide valid Stuff for me to read..Ill simply have
to keep an open mind.

Is there a problem with that?

For those who can't follow the thread, here is the link Don provided:

http://www.usc.salvationarmy.org/usc/WWW_USC.nsf/vw-news/9EF6EB58374D2EA9862575160074F309?opendocument

Salvation Army Officer Marriage Policy
Send this page to a friend Email envelope
Released 5 December 2008

The Salvation Army is a 143-year old church and faith-based social
service organization working in more than 115 countries. The 3,500
active U.S. officers who direct our community outreach, including our
churches – called Corps -- are ordained clergy, attending two-year
seminary programs and committing to lives of singular focus: to serve
suffering humanity in Christ's name without discrimination. An
additional 60,000 employees support the work of The Salvation Army in
the United States. These individuals are hired in a traditional manner,
based on credentials and aptitude for a specific position, and their
personal lives are not affected by organizational policy.

The policy relating to officer (clergy) marriage is related to the
spiritual aspect of the Army and is almost as old as the organization
itself. It is still in practice based on the fact that this singular
focus of officer couples, each with the same calling to ministry and
working together for the same purpose, directly contributes to the
efficiency and effectiveness of The Salvation Army’s service in the
United States. Additionally, given the demanding nature of the work, we
have found that couples are better able to support each other and their
families when committed to joint ministry. Each officer "cadet" is made
aware of this policy before attending one of The Salvation Army’s
two-year, officer training schools.

Today, our organization serves an average of 30 million Americans in
personal crisis each year and commits nearly 83 cents of every dollar
received to direct service – a testament to the commitment of Salvation
Army officers, employees, volunteers and donors.

Ok..this still doesnt answer the several questions I asked.

Please point out the answers to my questions if you would be so kind. I
am getting older..and my brain isnt as sharp as it used to be when I was
3-4 yrs old.

And please provide information on that "joint ministry" portion that I
suspect has your knickers in knots.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9