Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"Bill" wrote

BTW, in a youtube drywall video, I noticed someone using XIM "Peel Bond"
in places where the cardboard was showing (to prevent bubbling, I think).
Is this S.O.P.?

Totally unecessary, for your case, I would think. The bare paper will
provide the maximum grip for topcoating with either plain joint compound or
90 minute.

If you or someone has sanded the paper to the point that it has the
"fuzzies", make sure your topcoat covers all of that to the point that it
will still be covered after sanding. If you do get fuzzies from over
sanding, you may have to prime, and lightly sand, or apply more compound
before painting. The fuzzies can show though paint and be a PITA,
sometimes.

The whole key to sheetrock finishing is to apply the compound with a little
extra to take off, then take some off while getting a smooth surface but
leaving as small amount extra to sand as is humanly possible, then sand as
little as possible.

Emphasis here on the least possible strokes over the surface as possible.
If you fuss over it, going over and over and over again, you will only make
it worse.

Put it on with as many strokes as needed to cover it while leaving extra for
the smoothing strokes, smooth it and take off the extra with one stroke, or
possibly two, then BE DONE! More will make it worse. Trust me on that
point.

Sand it only as necessary, hopefully not more than about 5 strokes in any
one place. If it needs more than that, you left too much on it while doing
the smoothing stroke. Also, never return compound to your tray or tub while
doing the smoothing. You will be putting hard globs back in your tub that
you want to get rid of.

Are you posting in plain text? If you are, see if you can figure out what
you need to do in your news reader (usenet) program to set it for sending
plain text. If it is set on html or rich text, it makes it impossible for
some readers to add the "" on your text by the next person's reply's
program. It is the standard used by most experienced newsgroup users.

Hope this all helps. You can do it. Just don't try to do it too good.
This is a case where more is bad and less is good!
--
Jim in NC