Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

I purchased a 25# bag of Durabond 90 today.

1. Can I mix it in a plastic bucket (package says it gets "very hot")?
2. If I apply it with tape, would I generally add more tape if I add
setting compound later?

I have various joints to fill so any tips I pick up will be helpful.
I read most of Stanley's book on drywall, but it assumes "textbook
conditions" (i.e. new walls and ceiling). I hope to finish
putting up all my drywall tonight or tomorrow, so I still have time to
learn something!

Aside from cleaning up around a couple of my electrical boxes, my "most
troubling" joint will probably be the one about 3 inches from the
ceiling, running the length of the walls, where my old and new drywall meet.

BTW, There are lots of warnings on the package of Durabond 90 about the
risks of the "dust" from sanding it. I have just a simple drywall
sanding pole. I will wear a dust mask when I sand, but should I
"hesitate" to sand Durabond under these conditions? I naturally intend
to apply the Durabond sparingly with the idea that I won't need to sand
it very much.

It's a good thing I don't have to pay myself by the hour--and I'd charge
myself double for the 90+ degree days!

Bill