Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
CW[_6_] CW[_6_] is offline

Default Question about wood dyes

"Kevin" wrote in message
I was thinking about adding a spot of colour to a few bowls. Now I
prefer a more natural look but these will be heading out to folks that
like shiny and sparkly things.
I have seen a few dyes for sale at the various on-line shops and had a
question. When I carve a bit into a bowl, usually on the bottom and
usually just a date and the type of wood, I leave it at that. For one
though I did add some black ink, the type used by those who do the
lovely Chinese calligraphy. The ink did do a good job but the ink
spread about, kinda spread beyond the small carved area even through I
applied with a very small brush. Do dyes also spread about? Should
they only be applied to a sanded surface and NOT into a carved
surface?

It's sound like it is soaking into the wood. Applying a coat of shellac to
the area first would seal it and prevent the ink from running.