Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Gorilla Glass

On 8/10/2010 5:34 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"J. wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Wes wrote:

"Ed wrote:

Anchor Hocking still makes& sells borosilicate glass products
in the
US. A search on their site gives 442 hits so you're wrong, yet
again.

Not since 1998, Michael. Read what I said above. Pyrex cookware sold
in the
US today is tempered soda lime glass, and has been for over a decade.
That's
why Anchor Hocking doesn't call their glass products "Pyrex."

Unless something changed recently, Ed is absolutely correct. I looked
into this a while
back.

Wes

Anchor Hocking can't use the name Pyrex, but they sell
borosilicate
glassware. I bought some a month ago, and their website had 442 hits
for "borosilicate glass".

You might want to look more closely at those 442 hits. Searching on
borosilicate alone yields 9 hits, searching on borosilicate glass yields
443, however examining them it appears that 434 of them do not contain
the world "borosilicate"--apparently the search is on "borosilicate OR
glass" rather than "borosilicate AND glass" or the phrase "borosilicate
glass".

The Anchor Hocking items I purchased state that they are made of
borosilicate glass. Are you going to claim that they weren't?

I'm not "claiming" anything except that there are only nine items on the
Anchor Hocking web site that are specifically described on that site as
being made from borosilicate glass, and there appears to be no general
statement on that site that Anchor Hocking products are made from
borosilicate. If you can show that others currently for sale are also
made from it, please provide a list of products and SKU numbers (and,
ideally, links to photos of the labels showing the SKU number and the
"borosilicate glass" statement) so that others wanting borosilicate glass
can benefit from your experience.

Just to set the record straight, there are no Anchor Hocking cookware items
made of borosilicate glass. There are a few pieces of their stemware that
are, and some decorative canisters. But no cookware. All of their cookware
is made of tempered soda-lime glass, just like US-sold Pyrex.

As far as they know, there is no borosilicate glass cookware sold on the US
market. I have no way of checking that for accuracy.

Bodum sells some borosilicate measuring cups.

Saint Gobain Vidros sells Brazilian-made "Marinex" brand borosilicate
bakeware in the US if you can find it--Amazon.com lists quite a lot of
it. Note that they also have a line of tableware sold under the same
brand name that appears to be tempered soda-lime so read the details
carefully.

Arcuisine in France sells a couple of sizes of borosilicate baking dish
on the US market--google "arcuisine elegance" and you should find a
number or sources.