Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Brad nailer - 18 ga. big enough?

On 8/10/2010 8:12 AM, Nova wrote:
Morgans wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote

I have a box nail gun - board - does up to 3 1/2" (IIRC) headed nail.
They are the coil nailers and are often used in roofing. (sheet works).

tWith the guns I have, the coil guns used for roofing generally use
larger headed nails, and therefore a wider spacing in the coil. I have
coil framing nailers, and coil roofing nailers, and a wide crown
roofing stapler.

The last one has been sitting since I got the coil roofing nailer. I
wouldn't use a roofing staple on a doghouse. They set to an inaccurate
depth, far too often, or back out. That is my experience with them, at
least. That was with a roof sheathing consisting of random width SPF 1
by material. They are better in OSB or plywood, but when they hit a
rafter or truss, they will often not set as deep as is necessary,
causing the roofing applier to crawl back on a roof to renail several
shingles-for years to come. DAMHIKT! :-(

I recently had my roof professionally replaced. They used the staplers
with 3.5" staples to attach plywood sheeting only. A coiled roofing
nailer was used for the shingles.

The packaging on the 50 year GAF shingles I put on my garage a couple of
years back stated explicitly that the warranty was void if they were
attached with staples.