Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Brad nailer - 18 ga. big enough?

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 07:09:47 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On 8/9/2010 12:35 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Larry wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 19:32:37 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Afterthought, after reading other posts: Buy a brand name like Porter
Cable, DeWalt, etc. Avoid HF and the like. In the long run, you will
be
thankful.

See refutation in my other post. HF rules. No problems.

The only problem I've encountered with the nailers is that they dont'
want to work at under 55psi. I'm willing to bet that most other
brands won't, either, so it's not a real problem.

If you like ****, buy it, and use it. I've got no problem with that.
Some
day you'll work up to quality tools.

If you're making your living with a nailer then perhaps there's some
noticeable difference between the expensive brands and Harbor Freight, but
for the average hobbyist or homeowner Harbor Freight air tools work fine.

Do you actually own a Harbor Freight nailer or are you trying to justify
your own overspending?

I have several HF products, and they are marginal because they don't last as
long as brand names. They work, but they don't last, or the mechanisms
become sloppy. As for overspending, I have bought new or almost new brand
names at a local pawn shop for less than HF wants for theirs. Last thing I
bought was a like new Karcher 2650OH 6hp Honda power washer for $50 with 50'
of hose and five tips. HEAVY Rockwell 12" table saw $40. Craftsman 1.5 hp
router, table, and set of 40 bits, $60. Skil 2 wheel bench grinder $15.
All better than any HF comparable. BTW, I got a BRAND new PC pancake
compressor, and two nail guns, and a pin nailer, all NEW, for $125 for the
set, speaking of nailers.

You realize that all those items were boosted out of the back of
someone's garage or truck the night before, don't you? Pawn shops are
notorious for hot items, and the prices indicate that in your (LV,
right?) area.