Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Brad nailer - 18 ga. big enough?

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote

I have a box nail gun - board - does up to 3 1/2" (IIRC) headed nail.
They are the coil nailers and are often used in roofing. (sheet works).

tWith the guns I have, the coil guns used for roofing generally use larger
headed nails, and therefore a wider spacing in the coil. I have coil
framing nailers, and coil roofing nailers, and a wide crown roofing stapler.

The last one has been sitting since I got the coil roofing nailer. I
wouldn't use a roofing staple on a doghouse. They set to an inaccurate
depth, far too often, or back out. That is my experience with them, at
least. That was with a roof sheathing consisting of random width SPF 1 by
material. They are better in OSB or plywood, but when they hit a rafter or
truss, they will often not set as deep as is necessary, causing the roofing
applier to crawl back on a roof to renail several shingles-for years to
come. DAMHIKT! :-(
--
Jim in NC