Posted to rec.woodworking
Josepi[_12_] Josepi[_12_] is offline

Default Brad nailer - 18 ga. big enough?

I used all those 18Ga toys they supply with every pneumatic compressor and
roll of toilet paper. They work great for stapling sheeting down but for
baseboards and casings you need something that doesn't just hold until the
glue dries. That takes some length on the fastener into real wood framing
studs, not caulking to hold the baseboard on. With a 3/4" baseboard and 1/2"
drywall on a slight angle you need one and a half inches of brad or pin to
reach the framing. Now if you are OK with 1/4" of smooth pin holding you
baseboard into a rough piece of spruce framing, twisting as it dries out
than all you need is 1.75" pins and heads are required as there is no
pulling ability anyway.

Get the 16Ga Paslode, as suggested by Robatoy and use it for 18Ga pretend
nails until the glue dries. You will have a nailer for trimming rooms and
actually holding thing together, also.

Next somebody can explain how they held 5.1/2" crown moulding up with the
23Ga cat whisker pins until the PL400 dried...LOL

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Now you really have me beat. All I have now is a 16ga Paslode and
buying a Grex pinner.