Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Brad nailer - 18 ga. big enough?

"whit3rd" wrote

So, get 1/4" staples. SYP is 'southern yellow pine', I trust?
In toughness, it comes in at 470 in-lbf, a little higher than red
oak at 440 in-lbf. Half inch staples in that wood isn't an easy
test.

And I would add that the above hardness rating is when it is relatively new.
Once it has been installed for a couple years, it gets twice as hard.
(unscientific difficultly to drive a nail into old SYP)

I agree, get the 1/4" staples. There is no stapler made that will drive a
1/2" staple in that stuff.

Oh, and to the O.P. : You can send that stapler to me, if you don't like
it! ;-)
--
Jim in NC