Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Brad nailer - 18 ga. big enough?

On Aug 9, 11:08*am, " wrote:
On Aug 9, 9:22*am, RonB wrote:

On Aug 8, 4:44*pm, Pistol_Pete wrote:

I need some advice about a pneumatic brad nailer. I've never had one,
and they look like they would be a real help when the guys on TV use
them. Question #1: Is an eighteen gauge nailer what I want? I will be
building a bookcase/desk out of ¾” plywood (to be painted) and I'll be
using the nailer to attach trim around the top, and to put on the
backs of the bookcases (½” plywood). Not sure just yet if I will use
it for the shelves, but I'm pretty sure I won't – they will probably
be adjustable.

I really know nothing about brad sizes. If I don't buy any air nailer,
I will probably use 1 ½” brads to attach the backs (with glue of
course) but a pneumatic nailer would make the job a whole lot easier.
I think ¾” or 5/8” brads of any diameter would be good for the trim
but I question if 18 ga. x 1 ½” would be big enough. The piece will be
built-in, and screwed to the wall through the plywood back, which is
the reason for using the ½” plywood instead of ¼”.

Question #2: Some nailers also drive staples. What are staples good
for? Upholstery? Insulation?

#1 *I used an 18ga for several years before I bought a 15ga for
heavier work. *The 18 is a good, all around nailer for day to day shop
work and holding things together until glue dries. *Granted, 22ga is
better for trim work but the 18ga can handle slightly heavier jobs
too. *If you are going to hang a lot of trim I would recommend a 15ga
nailer.

#2 Staples are a nice add-on but I would opt for a good 18# nailer and
then go for a cheapo stapler. *In addition to my Porter Cable 18ga and
Bostich *15ga I sprung for a 18ga nailer/stapler a few years ago at
Harbor Freight. *Not the same quality as the other two but it gets the
job done, proven durable; and it cost $20 at one of their entry
display sales.

I just picked up their 23ga pin nailer for $18, with a coupon,
yesterday. *I also have an HF wide crown stapler that really works
well. *The only thing that concerned me is the lack of a safety. *I
had to keep that in mind when I was crawling around in the attic
stapling insulation.

They only sting a little.........or so I'm told.