Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Default Brad nailer - 18 ga. big enough?

"Rich" wrote in message
Pistol_Pete wrote:

I need some advice about a pneumatic brad nailer. I've never had one,
and they look like they would be a real help when the guys on TV use
them. Question #1: Is an eighteen gauge nailer what I want? I will be
building a bookcase/desk out of ΒΎ€ plywood (to be painted) and I'll be
using the nailer to attach trim around the top, and to put on the
backs of the bookcases (Β½€ plywood). Not sure just yet if I will use
it for the shelves, but I'm pretty sure I won't €“ they will probably
be adjustable.

I really know nothing about brad sizes. If I don't buy any air nailer,
I will probably use 1 Β½€ brads to attach the backs (with glue of
course) but a pneumatic nailer would make the job a whole lot easier.
I think ΒΎ€ or 5/8€ brads of any diameter would be good for the trim
but I question if 18 ga. x 1 Β½€ would be big enough. The piece will be
built-in, and screwed to the wall through the plywood back, which is
the reason for using the Β½€ plywood instead of ΒΌ€.

Question #2: Some nailers also drive staples. What are staples good
for? Upholstery? Insulation?

I like having the 16 and 18 gauge nailers. They sell these in combo's with
the Air Compressors. Porter Cable comes to mind. I do a lot of trim,
casement and cabinet work and I use these 2 nailers all the time, I'd be
lost without them. Time is Money! Thought about a stapler but haven't
really
found an application where I'd use it. I don't do a lot with MDF most is
ply
hardwood and Poplar.

Don't buy a combination. If you need both, buy separate guns.

Regarding air staplers, I bought one using 1/4" wide crown staples for
putting some 1/4" thick backs on a cabinet. Didn't think I would use it
much. Found it to be one of the handiest guns in the shop. The first one was
only up to about 1" long, I have added another that takes 1 1/2" staples. I
use either one for many jobs that I never thought I would. Stapling plywood
underlay down to the floor with long staples every 4" -- it goes real fast.
I even installed strapping on the ceiling by using long staples and firing
about 5 to 6 at every joist -- again it goes fast and saves my poor shoulder
from hammering upward while holding both nail and strapping at the same
time. To see if it would be strong enough, I lifted and held my 230 pound
body by one of the straps to see if they would hold -- they did. I have
found that when holding power is needed, staples out hold brads, so where
appearance is not needed, I always reach for the staple gun.