Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Universal Remote control , more universal mod?

whit3rd wrote in message
On Aug 8, 4:46 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Am I on a hiding to nothing? trying to crack a device with unavailable
remote control, and no button functions to speak of.

Many universal remotes need to know what KIND of box
before the code search works. It helps to know the
corporate entity that built the box (for instance, TiVO
responds to Philips satellite converter box commands,
because some Philips satellite converters were TiVO
equipped). And some of my Apple computers responded
to (? Samsung or Goldstar) TV codes. It seems odd that TV
codes operated the FM radio in a desktop computer.

reply

There is a collation of a lot of useful background info links off this page,
I'm gradually wading through
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/televisionrc5.htm
but linkages between makers seems a route to take.
But I still get the impression that types of kit whether air conditioners or
PVRs or whatever seem to have related structures of coding within the group
rather than by maker