Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] knuckle-dragger@nowhere.gov is offline

Default Pop rivets

(Doug Miller) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote:

No. If that's what you're getting, then you're using the wrong size rivets.
Try getting some that are shorter. What size are you using now?

Looks like about 3/8 inch.

*Waaaaaay* too long for riveting two pieces of sheet metal.

Well, that's the smallest size that came with my Sears Craftsman
riveter kit about 20 years ago. You can see that I don't use these too
often.

Not obvious. What effect would there be to use aluminum (softer) in a
steel pipe in the absence of moisture

"Absence of moisture"? You live in an area where the relative humidity is
*zero* ??

I can see you're an argumentative type. As you probably realize when
I'm talking about the absence of moisture I'm referring to an
application such as a plumbing pipe where you mix (say) copper or
brass and steel an set up a galvanic reaction. The moisture affecting
my application is going to be trivial.

and/or electrical conduction
questions?

Shear strength, if the joint is subjected to physical stress.

You know what the application is. I described it in my first post. No
physical stress is likely to be involved.

Even if corrosion resulted if it took ten years to manifest
itself it's unimportant given the application. OTOH if the aluminum
rivet will break after five days...that's another story.

Depends on how strong the joint needs to be. Use aluminum rivets on aluminum,
and steel rivets on steel. I repeat, this is obvious; if you don't find it so,
then perhaps you should consider that you're already in over your head.

In over my head? What are you? Some rivet expert talking down to the
amateurs?

What do the HVAC people use?

Sheet metal screws.

Right Mr Expert. Maybe you should upgrade your knowledge. Have a look
at a cap such as the 7" sheet metal cap I'm using. How was that
constructed? With friggin' pop rivets and designed by a real expert in
a factory! What size pop rivets are used? A reply to that question
would also answer mine.

Fortunately Dan G gave a pertinent helpful answer.