Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default T/S Inertia

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
I have been taking a basic wood working at a local community college.

As you would expect, there is a heavy emphasis on safety.

They have a collection of table saws including General, Delta Unisaw and
PM66.

Over the years there have been a few T/S accidents.

Analyzing these accidents revealed the following:

1) The majority of accidents involved the PM66.

2) After shutting off, the PM66 required 20-30 seconds more to come to a
rest than either the General or Unisaw.

WOW! That is an exceptionally long time. I wonder if it is because of the
type belt that is used, not the typical v-belt rather the less resistant
serpentine belts.

Looking at the saw blade, it was very difficult to see if the blade was
still spinning.

That may be more to do with lighting. I recall 40 years ago my shop teacher
warning to be careful around the blade during spin down as it went and out
of phase with the floresent lighting. Basically working like an automotive
timing light. It did indeed appear to be paused a few times when shud town.
As it would slow to near in phase timing the blade would appear to go
backwards, stop, spin forward, etc. If the blade takes an exceptionally
long time to come to a stop the "in phase" periods with the lighting would
last longer.