Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default T/S Inertia

On Aug 8, 3:10*pm, "Josepi" wrote:
Years ago I was attempting to create a CD rack (bored) using an old 3/4"
piece *of oak. I was going to dado some exact width slots in it for the CD's
to stand up and tilt in, using a table mounted router.

After about the third or fourth dado slot I found the router bit came right
up through the top (backside) of the piece. The router depth locking screw
came loose (or I forgot to tighten it) and the vibration from the table made
the router gear rack screw itself right up through the 3/4" depth of the
wood instead on holding a 3/8" depth slot. I never figured that was possible
until I was staring at the 30K RPM bit by my fingers.

Wasted piece of wood (made it shorter) but the lesson was a good one
learned. Nobody got hurt but I never (If I ever did?) put my hands over top
of the router bit, anymore, no matter how thick the piece is. Pusher sticks
and distance became paramount.

That's an oddball one. I would have figured the weight of the router
would have caused the whole shebang to drop, not rise. I could see a
loose collet causing the bit to rise. Either way, it's like Sancho
Panza said, "Whether the rock hits the pitcher, or the pitcher hits
the rock, it's bad for the pitcher."