Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Gorilla Glass

axolotl wrote:

On 8/7/2010 5:30 PM, Wes wrote:

Here is one take on it.

http://thestatsblog.wordpress.com/20...ion-continues/

Here is World Kitchens, LLC answer to another article. What is
interesting is the statement that soda-lime glass is superior in the
application. The product sold outside the US, however, is borosilicate.
This begs the question: Why are they selling inferior glassware in Europe?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._response.html

Kevin Gallimore

I sure don't plan to buy some of both and do my own testing. I seem to remember mom
having a baking dish fail when I was a kid. That would have had to be borosilicate due to
the time frame. One isolated case means squat.

#later in day, I knew I was going over so I stopped typing#
Checking with mom at dinner today had her coming up blank so it might have been grandma
(departed) or a memory from somewhere else. Mom doesn't ever remember an issue with glass
bakeware.

If there was a problem with either one, I'm sure the tort lawyers would be all over it so
I'm going to stick with the opinion that it is a non-issue at this point in time.

FWIW, I installed a couple Waldmann light fixtures in a couple od/id grinders after
getting tired of replacing the plastic lense covers on the oem lighting that would get
destroyed by a blown wheel.

With borosilicate glass, haven't had one crack yet and it has been at least 5 years. I
didn't think acrylic would fare so good with CBN wheels. (scratching)

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller