Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Pop rivets

You are using the wrong size/type rivets. Here is a site that
gives very explicit details. This link takes you to their button
head rivets:
http://www.blindrivetsupply.com/Butt...Alum_Alum.html
they have other types, etc

I, and most of the professionals I know, use Marson guns:
http://www.blindrivetsupply.com/Rivet_Guns.html
I have several of the HP-2. I do have one that will do 1/4, but
rarely ever get it out.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

wrote in message
I'm constructing a garbage (shopping) bag holder/dispenser
consisting
of about 28 inches of 7 inch metal duct pipe, a cap (also duct
and
this is actually on the bottom), a webbing strap to attach it to
the
wood above the space next to the refrigerator, and vinyl similar
seat covering to cover the piping and the hand hole in the side.

I was attaching the cap to the bottom with pop rivets but
unfortunately I broke the gun so I'm in the market for a new
one. In
reviewing the available options I see that there are ones with
14 and
18 inch handles. Great idea. I'm as weak as a kitten and extra
leverage would help a lot. But...

All this opens up a can of worms. Should the blind side of the
rivet
be the same shape as the visible side (i.e. a barely discernible
bump)
or should 90% of the blind rivet be still un-flattened? The
current
situation is mostly un-flattened but if this is the correct
state of
affairs these have to be cut off so they don't tear the bags.

The web is annoyingly simplistic in all the how to's on the
subject. I
have yet to find one that describes:

When to use aluminum and when to use steel.

Which # is first (or second). Is the first number the diameter
of the
hole I need to drill and the second the thickness of the plate
to be
joined? In which case I should be looking at a 1/8 by (18 +
18ga) but
such a rivet doesn't exist. Supply exists of things like 1/8 *
3/8
inches. Yikes! That implies two plates totaling 3/8 inch thick.
massive piece of steel! Obviously I'm reading this all wrong.

What size and type of gun do the people who use these frequently
(not
in a factory environment) choose?