Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Universal Remote control , more universal mod?

N_Cook wrote:
I was not aware of that frequency as being significant , the equivalent over
here is millions of 4.433619MHz and x2 of that , quartz crystals for Phase
Alternate Line. That would explain why it was Never The Same Color (twice)
if they could get away with using ceramic resonators rather than quartz.

Often the ceramic resonators were used as filters and for devices that were
designed to work at those frequencies, but where it was not critical.

I'd already looked at LIRC but no listing for my device. Yes easy enough to
knock up an IR transmitter tacked onto a PC but I've not found a library of
codes or algorithm for generating all permutations of IR transmitter codes,
model trigger code or model plus functions

I no longer have an LIRC setup to do it with, as I replaced my MythTV box with
a WD TV Live. If you can find someone with a little PERL programing experience,
they could write a program to copy each remote over to the LIRC config file,
restart the LIRC daemon and send some codes.

Then it would wait for you to hit a key, and try the next one.

It does not have to be very accurate, for example, if your program were to send
off, vol up, vol down, channel up, channel down, start and stop and something
happens at all, you have the correct frequency, spacing etc. From there,
you could play around to get the codes.

If I remember correctly LIRC was ported to the Palm Pilot, and if you could
get it to work on a Palm III or similar device, there are lots of them in
drawers just waiting for someone to ask for them.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order