Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default T/S Inertia

On 8/7/2010 11:22 PM, HeyBub wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 19:31:08 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

I have been taking a basic wood working at a local community college.

As you would expect, there is a heavy emphasis on safety.

They have a collection of table saws including General, Delta Unisaw
and PM66.

Over the years there have been a few T/S accidents.

Analyzing these accidents revealed the following:

1) The majority of accidents involved the PM66.

2) After shutting off, the PM66 required 20-30 seconds more to come
to a rest than either the General or Unisaw.

Looking at the saw blade, it was very difficult to see if the blade
was still spinning.

The only time I've ever come close to getting bitten by my Unisaw was
exactly this. A blade brake would be a great addition to any table
saw.

Some years ago, the federal government, in its infinite wisdom, and all the
while thinking of the children, mandated that washing machines come to a
complete stop in just a few seconds (like three).

It shouldn't be hard to transfer that technology to table saws.

They did in the EU and then found out that the mandated brake wouldn't
stop a dado in the specified time, so their solution was to require that
the shaft be too short to accommodate a dado. Be careful what you wish for.