Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default wheelie bins

"John" wrote in message
news:gEg7o.123584$zo4.87425@hurricane...
"Phil L" wrote in message
news:c8f7o.16493$k31.15551@hurricane...
Dave wrote:
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing
that struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of
them. Take the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the
button for the rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be
dropped off again, then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know
they were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk
could have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to
drop the bin bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for
collection.
Dave

Pros and cons:
===========
Bin bags:

Cons:

animals rip them open.
Sharps can injure refuse collectors, possibly fatally.
They don't rot down.
They cost money.
They hold very little.
They're unhygenic.
They look unsightly piled up in the street.

Pros:

They are quicker to load onto refuse truck.
They come in handy for bagging up other things apart from refuse.

Wheelie bins:

Cons:

People who have never had one don't like the idea of them.
If they're overfilled (weightwise) the truck won't empty them.
They have to be wheeled to the kerb for emptying.
They take slightly longer to empty than bags.

Pros:

They're hygenic, having a lid.
They hold about 5 times as much as a binbag.
They're easy to move, even when heavy.
Most households only need them emptying once per fortnight.
You can put as much broken glass, needles, barbed wire etc in them as you
like.
One off cost to the taxpayer as no bags are involved.
Environmentally freindly as no bags are involved.

As you can see, the advantages of using wheelie bins far outweigh the
cons, and the disadvantages of using bags, far outweigh the pros.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

And you can take the wheelie bin into the shed / garage when you are doing
a tidying up job.

I have disposed of a car tailgate in mine (over a few weeks) and a
dishwasher (again - over a few weeks). Amazing how such items fold up with a
bit of encouragement.