Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default wheelie bins

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:

Dave gurgled happily, sounding much like
they
were saying:

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags.

Priorities.

It's far quicker and less hassle for me - the householder, the
council tax payer - to deal with a wheelie bin.

And - as far as I'm concerned, and especially when I look at that
monthly direct debit on my bank statement - I'm FAR more important
than the bloke who empties the bins.

This is 100% correct, as opposed to TNP's nonsense elsewhere in the
thread.
The simple fact is that the bin is much better for the *consumer*,
and that is what counts. We only need put our black bin out once a
month because we don't generate enough stuff to require it to go out
every other week. The bin can sit around and because it closes
completely, unlike plastic sacks, it doesn't smell.

What tosh. The flies and maggots get in the bin no worries.

We don't get flies in our bins as long as anything that attracts them
(not much, seeing as the food waste is composted) is bagged (which it
is as it will normally be kitchen packaging that goes in the kitchen bin
first)

Plastic bags DO close completely if you tied them.

Yeah, but you still need somewhere to put the bag - so it might as well
be a wheelie bin as anything else. I'd much rather have a bin with bags
in, than dumping bags out on the street the night before, which decide
to split them selves or would end up getting torn by animals. Yes it
could be a traditional dustbin, but a wheelie bin suits me fine.

I like that I can chuck in random bits if rubbish without needing to bag
it up as well.

We only produce one sack with the recyclables every two weeks, too,
unlike e.g. Bob Eager who seems to produce four with only twice as
many people.
Further, having bins means we can get rid of at least some of the
garden waste every other week. Try shoving *that* in plastic sacks.

No we shove it in the garden where it belongs.

Most of our stuff goes on the compost heaps, but something like
brambles, rose pruning's etc. I'd rather not, as the prickles last in
the compst for ages. Or sometimes woody stuff I'd rather just get rid
of. Yeah I can burn it. But sticking it in the green waste bin is fine.

I much prefer the wheelie bins (though I can why some don't - eg rather
less convenient for the terraced cottages next to us with no drive and
no rear access). My only complaint with the process really is that the
council make a fuss about people not putting the bins out to early,
leaving at the edge of your property etc. And then the bin men come
along and leave them scattered all over the pavement. Lots of course
staying there all day until the householder returns from work etc.
--
Chris French