Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cash Cash is offline

Default wheelie bins

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave wrote:
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing
that struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of
them. Take the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the
button for the rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be
dropped off again, then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know
they were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that
risk could have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic
box to drop the bin bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put
out for collection. Dave

Of course it was more efficient. But it took at least 5 jobs to be
created to determine to use wheelie bins, evaluate their safety, order
them, get them to households, and re-equip the trucks to use them, not
to mention the extra jobs created to load them, daily. And of course
paste the stickers on refusing to collect them because they have the
wrong sort of rubbish in, or too much of the right sort of rubbish.

This is called 'investing in people' and any right minded (sic!) left
wing government knows that this wins votes and keeps the unemployment
statistics down.

If I remember correctly, the first wheelie bins were brought in to cut down
on the number of weekly collections (bigger bins and bigger lorries) and to
reduce the number of lorries on three road, the number of people in the crew
(in the case of my then LA - they reduced the crews from 5 men to 3) and
then increased the size of the rounds to fill the lorries - and all this was
done as the results of a right-wing Tory government run by a witch called
Thatcher (who has since spawned son-of-Thatcher -- Cameron along with his
lapdogs Cleggie and the half-bake Osborn - [just realised, you could call
that lot the First of The Summer wine - and that usually tastes like ****]).

Cash