Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Technique for dry fitting PVC pipe?

In article , "don &/or Lucille" wrote:
Try using pvc primer/cleaner as a lubricant?

Uhhh.... no. No. NO!

Please don't attempt to give advice on subjects you know nothing about. The
primer/cleaner makes the pipe sticky, not slippery. No way will it work as a
lubricant. Good grief.

Please don't top-post, either.

wrote in message
In previous projects I really haven't had the need to dry assemble a
bunch of fittings to get the alignment right and make sure it would
all work before gluing. In the case of some recent work with 2" PVC
I had pipes making a tight 180 turn and together with a 3 way valve,
it all has to align just right with the existing piping in a short
distance with no wiggle room.

So, I put the pipes and fittings together dry first, to make sure they
aligned OK. But there were two problems:

1 - It was very hard to get the dry pipe to bottom in the sockets of
the fittings

2 - It was even harder to then pull them apart.

I tried using some dish washing soap, but it didn't help much. Which
got me to wondering if there are any tricks the pros use?