Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Technique for dry fitting PVC pipe?

On Aug 4, 2:35*pm, wrote:
On Aug 4, 2:23*pm, dpb wrote:

I tried using some dish washing soap, but it didn't help much. * Which
got me to wondering if there are any tricks the pros use?

The biggest "trick" I think the pro has is the experience and practice
such that can make stuff fit properly simply by measuring lengths
minimizing the need for nearly as much dry fitting as we diy'ers.

My general approach to a similar situation tends to be to do one joint
at a time so to minimize the accumulated measurements required and then
the last assembly generally isn't bad. *Any given situation can lead to
peculiar issues, of course that might make more trials a useful exercise.

$0.02, etc., ...

The problem with one joint at a time is that if an earlier joint has a
freedom of movement that affects the positioning of a fitting that is
coming 3 connections later, if it it gets set at the wrong angle you
then can't make the last connection. * Which is why I needed to dry
fit several fittings and short lengths of pipe simultaneously.

Ain't those situations fun? I've had to create some new swear words -
like Ralphie's dad in A Christmas Story. I use a Sharpie to make some
alignment marks on each joint, and then glue pieces up into assemblies
and then glue up assemblies. I don't know how critical it is to have
the joint bottomed out. Preferable? Sure, but I don't think it
affects things too much. When I've cut into other people's work I've
found substantial gaps where the pipe didn't bottom out in the
fitting, but that didn't seem to create any problems with drainage.