Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Buying stock, aluminum, 6061 versus 6063?

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Yes, if either is hardened (T6), it will crack when bending. Heating
either alloy will destroy the heat treat and it will then bend without
cracking.
Steve

I missed the original thread but saw your reply, did the OP require a
very tight bend which could lead to cracking?. I've bent 2" x 3/8" IIRC
6082 -T6, certainly T6, in a broad radius, about 5", and that worked
fine, I did have a 2m cheater on it to get the leverage. For a tight
bend on sheet I would assume cracking especially if bent parallel to the
grain.

"John Doe" wrote in message
I see the description on McMaster-Carr. Is there any difference
for bending? It will be used for ordinary purposes, nothing
precise. Is there any difference between 6061 and 6063 that
matters to a layperson?

Thanks.

Last time I went to Lowe's, I Wanted to buy a Johnson Level and
Tool Mfg Co 6 foot or longer ruler, since it was 1/8 inch thick by
2 inch wide by 6 feet long piece of quality looking aluminum. Made
in the USA. Unfortunately, Lowe's have replaced it with some
Chinese junk. Anyway, that used to be a cheap way to get a decent
amount of aluminum for $10 (US). It was a lot cheaper than their
buttery stock aluminum.