Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Buying stock, aluminum, 6061 versus 6063?

On 08/03/2010 04:08 AM, John Doe wrote:
I see the description on McMaster-Carr. Is there any difference
for bending? It will be used for ordinary purposes, nothing
precise. Is there any difference between 6061 and 6063 that
matters to a layperson?

Thanks.

Last time I went to Lowe's, I Wanted to buy a Johnson Level and
Tool Mfg Co 6 foot or longer ruler, since it was 1/8 inch thick by
2 inch wide by 6 feet long piece of quality looking aluminum. Made
in the USA. Unfortunately, Lowe's have replaced it with some
Chinese junk. Anyway, that used to be a cheap way to get a decent
amount of aluminum for $10 (US). It was a lot cheaper than their
buttery stock aluminum.

If you have a scrap metal place near you, go check it out. Clackamas
Steel is a short drive from here, and in addition to the big yard of
rusty steel, they have a "brass shed" and an "aluminum shed". There's a
good selection of both machinable and bendable aluminum in there -- my
usual task on entering the building is to restrain myself from trying to
buy the whole damn thing!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services