Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

In article , Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In , wrote:
Just finished my insulation. I ended up taking down the drywall in the
corner too, rather than leaving myself 2 butt-joints to make there. I
would have saved some time if I had decided that a month or two ago
rather than tip-toeing around it. While I was trimming things up a
question occurred to me--What sort of Lighting am I going to want while
doing the setting compound/sanding/finishing compound joint work?

I use one of these:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_320775-337-T...ductId=3179077

Wow, the price is right too (~$39). Do you find it convenient for other
uses?

Oh, absolutely. I use it when painting a room, or when finishing furniture --
the brighter the light the better. Occasionally use it in the garage for car
repair work too, and for general-purpose task lighting whenever I need a bit
more light on whatever I'm working on.

Pick up a couple of spare bulbs too -- but not at Lowe's. They're about 75%
cheaper at Harbor Freight.

I'd guess it's probably pretty hot so one might not want to be
right underneath it.

Quite correct. If you're using one while painting a small room, best to
station it outside the door if you can, so that most of the heat stays
outside the room. OTOH, that heat can be useful when working on a car in an
unheated garage in February. DAMHIKT.

I've got a list of about 10 drywall-project related things to pick up
today (drywall hammer, ...), not including drywall and joint compound.
I'll have to see how I survive that first! : )

There are some excellent videos on drywall installation and finishing
techniques available at the public library. And I'll share a finishing tip
that I learned from a pro: when spreading joint compound, hold your taping
knife with your index and middle fingers splayed out in a vee behind the
blade, and grasp the handle only with your thumb and last two fingers. That
gives you *far* better control of the blade than if you grasp the handle with
your entire hand.