Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do dishwashers need drain hose to rise above level of drain pump?

On Jul 31, 8:19*pm, Sum Guy wrote:
wrote:
Do they recommend it to prevent the sink from draining into the
washer, or because the washer needs the drain line to go up
first before it's connected to a drain pipe because it can't
stop water from siphoning out by itself.

Going up first doesn't stop a siphon from working.

Replace the word "siphoning" with "draining" above.

The high loop is there so that if the sink drain backs up,

I don't have a sink drain. *The dish washer is not competing with a sink
in this case. *The washer is located in a corner of the kitchen away
from the kitchen counter and sink. *The dish washer is not sharing a
common 2" drain pipe with an adjacent sink. *

No **** Sherlock, There was discussion about why the high loop was
called for in dishwasher installations. That was the point. It's
perfectly clear that you not only don't have a sink, but in fact are
connecting the dishwasher drain straight downhill into a sewer pipe
without a trap. I think just about everyone here will tell you:

A - That's a clear code violation

B - It's one code where the reason for it is clear and it makes
perfect sense.

I've explained many times - I've arranged it so that the dish washer
discharge line is fed directly DOWN from the drain pump outlet through
the floor to a dedicated 2" ABS line that runs at a slight down-angle
for 10 feet to a connection on one of my primary 4" vertical sewer pipes
that runs into my concrete basement floor.

If something backs up on that 4" line, then I've got more of a problem
that could ever be solved by having a proper dedicated trap and vent for
the washer.

Sigh... Once again, traps in sewer systems are not there to prevent
your sewer from backing up. They are there to prevent SEWER GASES
FROM ENTERING YOUR HOUSE every day. If traps aren't needed, why the
hell does every sink, washer, toilet, etc have one? You're concerned
that water may be running out of the dishwasher, but not that sewer
gas can be coming back in? Sounds great. Cleaned dishes sitting in
a closed dishwasher, exposed to sewer gas.

But, why all the concern?

Because my washer does not seem to be operating properly - it seems to
need to have water added at times during the various cleaning cycles as
if water is leaving it for some reason.

I'm wondering if the water is draining through the drain pump because
there is no "up-loop" in the discharge line.

If it's behaving that way, then it could very well be happening. Do
you think every dishwasher uses exactly the same pump out design? No
one here is gonna know how your dishwasher, which you don't even
indicate the make or model is going to behave when you use it in a way
MOST people never would. As others have suggested, you could go to
the manfacturer's website and see if you can find an owners manual.
But even that will probably not answer the question. They will show
how it should be installed, but likely won't tell you what happens if
you do it another way.

But instead of speculating, why don't you just put a high loop in it
temporarily and see if it then works correctly? And regardless, get a
trap and do it right.