Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Setting a wagon tire

In article , "J. Clarke"
wrote:

On 7/31/2010 4:09 PM, Artemus wrote:
"J. wrote in message
Working on a decorative wagon wheel in wood, but I'd really like to put
a metal tire on it. Now, that's no trick if it's just for looks--make a
steel ring that's close enough to the dimension that a little epoxy
under it will hold it, but the devil in me wants to do a proper job and
shrink the thing.

Trouble is that this is a no-burn area so I can't just light a fire in
the back yard and heat the tire.

So, any ideas on how to go about this? The wheel is 2 feet in diameter,
making the tire too big to fit in a barbecue or the like. If I was
making a bunch of 'em I'd be tempted to just build a charcoal pit big
enough and call it a barbie, but that's a lot of work for one wheel.

And yeah, I know I can find a blacksmith, but I'm more interested in the
making than in having a wheel.

There's no need to dig a pit. Just set the rim on the ground and raise it
up about an inch or two with rocks or anything that won't burn. Cover
the entire rim with charcoal and light it. There's no need for charcoal in
the center of the circle. It shouldn't burn with any more smoke than a
bbq.

It's a no burn ordinance, not a no smoke ordinance. It's the fire not
in a fireproof container that's the issue, not the smoke.

A ring of firebrick laying on the ground is by definition a fireproof container.
That's what firebrick is made for. So would a sheet of steel qualify.

I would get a copy of the actual ordinance and see what it *really* requires.

Joe Gwinn