Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_2_] Lee Michaels[_2_] is offline

Default Setting a wagon tire

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On 7/31/2010 10:30 AM, Steve Lusardi wrote:
Simple, make the ring 1/8 small. Roll to shape and butt weld. Dress with
a grinder and heat with a rose bud acetylene torch . Set in place and
let it cool. No smoke, no noise and no problems.

Thinking on this yet more, any recommendation on a starter setup for
acetylene? Should I go with the Lincoln package that Lowes and Home
Despot and the like have, or find a welding store and ask for advice or is
there a standard first set that everbody has or what?

If I'm going to spend the money I may as well get set up with something
decent that can grow with me.

I used to make gym equipment and used acetylene to cut things. When I wanted
to heat something up to bend it I used propane. Now if you have other uses
for it, OK. But if this is the only thing you are going to do with it,
consider propane.

The welding rigs you get at the big box stores are cheapened to specs by the
stores. They wanted to sell something at a particular price point. The stuff
you buy at a real welding store is much better quality. Of course, you pay
for that quality.

I would, at the very least, go to a welding store or two and talk to them.
They are far more knowledgable and can steer you in the right direction.

Another thing to consider, the cost of tanks. Each area has their own
particular laws concerning tanks. Where I am, you cannot own them. You must
rent them. And they can only be transported in an upright position in a
secure carrier of some kind. There may be restrictions on even having tanks
at home. And if you do, you may need to post signs and notify the fire
department. Again, each area is different. This is another reason to talk to
the local welding store. They know all the regulations for the local area.
They need to if they want a viable business.