Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Setting a wagon tire

On 7/31/2010 11:14 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
On 7/31/2010 10:30 AM, Steve Lusardi wrote:
Simple, make the ring 1/8 small. Roll to shape and butt weld. Dress with
a grinder and heat with a rose bud acetylene torch . Set in place and
let it cool. No smoke, no noise and no problems.

Can the whole two foot diameter wheel be brought to temperature at once
with a rose bud torch?

Thinking about it, this is probably the way to go. Push me off center
to get an oxyacetylene rig.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Working on a decorative wagon wheel in wood, but I'd really like to
put a metal tire on it. Now, that's no trick if it's just for
looks--make a steel ring that's close enough to the dimension that a
little epoxy under it will hold it, but the devil in me wants to do a
proper job and shrink the thing.

Trouble is that this is a no-burn area so I can't just light a fire in
the back yard and heat the tire.

So, any ideas on how to go about this? The wheel is 2 feet in
diameter, making the tire too big to fit in a barbecue or the like. If
I was making a bunch of 'em I'd be tempted to just build a charcoal
pit big enough and call it a barbie, but that's a lot of work for one
wheel.

And yeah, I know I can find a blacksmith, but I'm more interested in
the making than in having a wheel.